VAMOS APRENDER CAPOEIRA! LET’S LEARN CAPOEIRA!
Martial Arts. Acrobatics. Music & Dance.
Circus Center (in the basement)
755 Frederick St.
San Francisco, CA 94117
Classes for Children and Youth:
Kids Capoeira (Crianças Brincando, meaning “Children at play” in Portuguese)
K- 2nd Grade (1 hour)
- Fridays, June 2 – July 14, 7 weeks
- 4:00 PM – 5 PM
Registration Fee: $115.00
Youth Capoeira (Jogo Capoeira, meaning “Capoeira game” in Portuguese)
3rd Grade and Up (1.5 hours)
- Fridays, June 2 – July 14, 7 weeks
- 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM
- Registration Fee: $140.00
*Note: First time 8-year-old students who have taken at least one year of capoeira may be eligible for this class. Please check with instructor.
Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian martial-art form that combines self-defense, dance and acrobatics. Developed by African slaves who needed to disguise their martial arts from slave masters and other authorities. Capoeira helps people of all ages develop self-esteem, coordination, rhythm, strength, flexibility, and collaborative skills. It incorporates physical movement and awareness, self-expression, discipline, community, musicality, and the Portuguese language. Jarrel “Chumbinho” Phillips trains and teaches under the guidance of Mestre Urubu Malandro, founder of Capoeira Ijexa.
What You Should Know
- Enrollment after the start of the session will be prorated for the number of remaining weeks.
- Space is Limited
- Students should wear loose clothing, uniforms (ABADA preferred), girls (tank tops, t-shirts), boys (tank tops, t-shirts, or no shirts at all)
- Tuition assistance and monthly installment plans are available, please contact Jarrel Phillips, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students enroll for a full class session
- Payment is due on the first day you attend the session. Cash or Check.
- Drop-ins welcome $18 (4-6 years old)/class and $20 (7+ years)/class
- Parents/guardians are not required to stay with your child during class. In fact, we ask that you please drop your child/children off and and come back towards the end of class to pick up your kids. The time alone is easier for the coach and other instructors (children behave differently away from their parent/guardian) to create the space necessary for them to function independently, build and bond with their coach, and not have to deal with more than one authority figure in the environment. Thank you for understanding. However, if we feel that your child needs you, we will ask you to stay.
Register NOW! And for more details…
Playing with Movement
Pre K/Ages 3.5 – 5 years (45 min) Introductory class for preschoolers and first time students. Contact Jarrel for more information.
Learn Capoeira With Your Little One. For parents and children ages 3+ years old. Family Capoeira is a parent/child class for children 3+ years of age. The class is designed so that both the parent and child can actively explore the art of capoeira together through movement, rhythm, and music. Through guided exploration you and your child will develop strength, coordination, and an appreciation for the culture and community that capoeira cultivates. *One adult per child. Please contact Jarrel for more information.
Privates and Semi-Private Classes
Private lessons can be arranged Monday and Thursday afternoons at Suns of Cayuga (a circus/wearhouse training space) 915 Cayuga Ave in the Excelsior/Ingleside district near the CCSF main campus. If you want to schedule a private lesson at Circus Center, space will need to be rented in advance. A $35 non-refundable fee will be added to your class fee for the space rental. Please contact Jarrel for more information.
Private Lesson $50-$90/hr
Semi-Private $25-$45/hr per child ($50-$90/hr for siblings)